Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How can I mix categories and pages in the same Wordpress menu (or display posts of a given category on a page)?

I'm putting together a small Wordpress site for a local farmer's market and one of the requirements is to mix a few post-categories in with the page navigation menu. While I can make Apache rewrite rules to redirect users from a dummy page to the correct category, I'm hoping to find a plugin that would allow managing these pages-showing-categories through the Wordpress admin UI. Alternatively, a plugin that allowed custom ordering of pages and categories in a single menu would solve this as well.

Partial Solution:

I have found Category Page plugin, but it focuses on bringing page content into the category archive page rather than bringing the category content into a page (and thereby allowing it to show in the page menu). The Category Page plugin does have 'experimental' support for putting a listing of posts in the page using a [catlist=4] syntax in the page, but this just gives a stripped down list of posts like this:

Category listing given by Category Page

rather than the full category listing:

alt text

  • Are you on WordPress 3.0? The menu functionality in 3.0 will let you to mix and match different menu options. If that doesn't work let me know; I have a "post list shortcode" plugin that I've written but not yet released I could send you that would let you embed lists of posts into a page.

    Hope this helps.

    Also, since you are being told this is off-topic, can I suggest you add your weight to the WordPress Answers exchange so we can get that StackExchange finally started?

    Adam Franco : Thanks, I was using on WP 2.9. I guess this is a good reason to upgrade. :-)
    MikeSchinkel : YES! WordPress 3.0 is IMO the most important upgrade for WordPress yet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment