Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Web application for assistance with SQL Syntax/Nesting?

Between Notepad++ and TextPad and various sql development tools, I can't seem to find a single application that can assist with IF/THEN nesting or whatnot.

Is there a web application that can assist with this kind of thing?

I'm thinking something that can show if your if/then are out when your tab leveling, or something. It would be a great visual assistance tool for developers.

  • If you are talking about Transact SQL I would suggest looking at Redgate tools, specifically SQL Prompt as it will help some.

    In general it is pretty poor coding practice to have IF/THEN loops statements that are nested very deep. In general I have never found a time when I use more than 2-3 IF/ELSE IF and then maybe 1 nested 1 inside. If you have more than that I would suggest looking at how to simplify your code.

    Otherwise could you be more specific what SQL language are you using and what do you mean by IF/THEN nesting?

    glasnt : Technically it's If-begin-end; the standard for Sybase. I was just wondering if there was an app out where you could get some nice tab-intenting happening for specified conditions, like an autoformatter; but with added nesting notifications, e.g. coloured background, that one could then parse their code in a visual way to find issues with stray end clauses (which has been what I've banged my head against for the last week fretting over)
    RandomBen : Unfortunately, I don't know of any tools for Sybase.
    From RandomBen
  • This question was also asked on SO.

    SQL Inform seems the best SQL one. Sorry I can't say I've used it though, I use Sql Redgate to layout my SQL.

    glasnt : A 100 line limit is limiting though, or you pay 30 euro, which I don't want to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment