Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Backup Library/Code Do You Use For Your Dataset (Files On Disk)?

I'm implementing Backup functionality into my new (small) app, Oldaer. I've got standalone desktop files (rather than sitting in a SQL db).

Looking around, I decided on using a Clarion 3rd-Party Template that will package them into one file and then compress (huffman's) that one file. Restoring is just the reverse. Uncompress, unpack.

However, I'm not convinced this is ideal.

What Backup functionality do you implement for your dataset?

Of course, there's a lot more in "Backup/Restore" functionality. Location, Tracking/Archiving, Out-of-the-box Information (like better ways of letting the User know what was in the archive file). But that's another question.

From stackoverflow
  • SQL Replication, clustering, RAID 5

    Stu Andrews : Thanks tslib. Was kinda hoping for some static files, but I guess most folk work in SQL anyway.
    tsilb : Ahh. You still have RAID. My group backs up our physical data/files on an identical server off-site in a failover config.
  • Stu,

    Just been playing with uploading datasets to Amazon S3 using the NetTalk 3rd party libraries in Clarion. Seems to work a treat. I am working on keeping multiple 'versions' of the dataasets using the MetaTags functionality.

    Happy to dig out my code and discuss further if you need.

    Cheers, Devan

    Stu Andrews : Devan, Hey hey! Good to see another Clarionite on here :) Will take a squiz at Amazon S3. Sounds like a good online option.

0 comments:

Post a Comment