Saturday, February 5, 2011

When debugging on WinCE, how can I set Visual Studio to always load symbol files it knows about?

I'm debugging a WinCE, C++ program in Visual Studio across an ActiveSync connection. Every time I start the process it fails to load symbol information. However, if I right click on the module and hit 'Load Symbols' it correctly locates the symbol information without any further prompting from me.

Is there a way that I can set Visual Studio to either:

  • (a) automatically load this symbol information, or
  • (b) automatically break the process into the debugger once it's loaded (similar to what windbg does)?

I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere, but I've yet to find it.

Update: I forgot to mention in the original question that I'm not debugging with the instance of Visual Studio that created the exe.

  • Visual Studio should be automatically loading symbols. But this can be disabled. Go to Tools -> Options -> Debugger -> Symbols. There should be a check box saying something like "Only Load Symbols from these locations when specifically asked to". If that box is checked then uncheck it.

    tsellon : I forgot to mention that I'd checked through those settings. That one is unchecked.
    From JaredPar

0 comments:

Post a Comment