Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bazaar bound branch commit-and-update

I use bzr for websites. I have all my current ones set up so the master branch is kept on the server by having them bound. This means when I commit locally, the changes are automatically pushed out. All good so far.

But I still have to call an update on the remote server. While I can see this being great for some people, I'm finding it increasingly annoying.

Is there a way to commit, push and do a remote update all at the same time?

  • Automatic updates to the production website is bad, even with a VCS to go back up IMO. Anyway, did you looked at this?

    From Keltia
  • Perhaps a script? e.g.

    #!/bin/bash
    bzr commit $*
    bzr pull
    bzr push
    

    Put it in your PATH and give it an obvious name like "bzrsync". It's simple, but should save you a few keystrokes...

    From seanhodges
  • there are 2 plugins for bzr that could help you:

    push-and-update: https://launchpad.net/bzr-push-and-update/

    bzr-upload: https://launchpad.net/bzr-upload

    The latter does not require to keep the branch with full history on the server at all.

    From bialix
  • bzr commit on a bound branch uploads your changes but does not update the working tree of the master branch.

    After your commit, bzr push should cause the working tree to update remotely.

    From xeon

0 comments:

Post a Comment