Sunday, May 1, 2011

Can you run Target Designer for NT 4.0 on an XP box?

I'm trying to run Microsoft Windows NT Embedded 4.0 Target Designer on a Windows XP system, but when I try to build, I get errors. Have you ever done this, and if so, is there a trick to getting it to work?

The best clue I've found so far from Microsoft is that the Development System Hardware Requirements document includes "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 or later," but I don't know if XP is considered a valid "or later" for NT 4.0.

When I try to build an image by running Target Designer in Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 compatibility mode, I get this error during Building Registry / Adding component parameters:

ERROR: Couldn't get security error = 5

When I run it normally under XP, the error that comes up during Building Registry / Binding Network is:

ERROR: Failed to bind network - Incorrect function
From stackoverflow
  • You have two options (which you may have already tried);

    1. Right click on the link to the Target Designer executable and select properties, then select the Compatibility tab and set 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and choose 'Windows NT (SP5)' from the dropdown. You should be able to run TD then.
    2. If that does not work, download Virtual PC from Microsoft (free) and create a new Virtual Machine for Windows NT (you can get the ISO images for NT from MSDN but you need a valid account, otherwise use your CD Roms for NT).

    I hope that helps.

    Ryan

0 comments:

Post a Comment