Sunday, April 17, 2011

Is there a Perl module to monitor an email queue?

I'm working on an issue tracking system and would like the application to handle email replies. That is, I would like a script that can monitor an email queue and perform some action based on the email contents. It should then be able to delete the email, etc.

I currently use MIME::Lite to send email, and I can handle writing the script etc. (read: I'm not new to Perl). However, I have no idea what modules are good for doing this particular task. I'd like to get started on this as quickly as possible so I hope to narrow my search space for possible modules.

In case you need to know, the application will be running on a standard linux, Perl, MySQL stack with Exchange as the mail server.

Can anyone suggest a Perl module to help me out? Any tutorials or best practices related to this would also be helpful.

Thanks!

From stackoverflow
  • Do you have access to the Exchange server via IMAP or WebDAV?

    For IMAP:

    For WebDAV:

    POP3 would also be an option if it's enabled on the server. IMAP is probably the way to go if you've got it.

    James van Dyke : That's kind of interesting... it uses the web access site. Have you used this in an application?
    James van Dyke : I have access to pop, imap, and webdav. I would think IMAP or WebDAV are the better protocols. Any preference?
    Leon Timmermans : IMAP is much faster than WebDAV, so I'd advise you to go with that.
    James van Dyke : Excellent. Thank you, Leon.
    Mark Johnson : IMAP is probably the way to go if it's available. I've not personally used Email::Folder::Exchange (or done anything with Exchange over WebDAV). I thought it worth a mention in case IMAP was not enabled on your Exchange server.
    James van Dyke : Thanks for the suggestions!
  • I've done something similar using Mail::POP3Client

  • The Perl Email Project @ http://emailproject.perl.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page has recommendations and other information on the mail oriented modules for perl.

    James van Dyke : I did try out the Email::* modules updated by this group and found the one I needed (Email::Folder::IMAP) to have a bug that caused it to die when connecting. I also found the API to be very inconsistent between connection types. Net::IMAP::Client has a similar, simple API but is more mature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment