Saturday, February 5, 2011

CVS to SVN

We are migrating from CVS to SVN and as far as I can see, SVN does not have checkout hooks.

Rephrase of my question. In CVS the post checkout operation is defined using the '-o' option when defining modules in the module file. This is a behavious I am looking for in SVN.

  • Please clarify: What would you want to use check-out hooks for?

    I've never really been a CVS user, so I do not know what common use-cases the solved (wanted to...) by using check-out hooks (actually I haven't known them).

    SVN provides pre-commit and post-commit hooks (among some others), which should be able to do whatever one wants to be done per-change on the source.

    If you need some automatic post-check-out processing on the working copy, you'll not have much other alternatives then writing a script, and remind the clients to execute them.

    From gimpf
  • Probably "alternatives" refers to "hooks" and not to SVN, but currently, I see a lot better systems to migrate to than SVN (e.g., Mercurial, Git)... even if one does not follow Linus Torvalds seeing 'Subversion as being the most pointless project ever started'..

    JesperE : When listening to Linus Torvalds, one should always wear appropriate filtering gear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment