Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why does eth0 show an IP if I'm booting into runlevel 1?

I'm having some issues with networking on a new Linux server I'm building. The OS is SLES 11. When booting into runlevel 1, I see that eth0 is showing an IP. Physically, there is a network cable plugged into the card associated with eth1, and then there is a network cable plugged into a QLogic iSCSI card (eth4, not shown). I've been troubleshooting this for awhile, and it seems like eth0 is somehow getting assigned an IP, even though it isn't configured in Linux or even plugged into the network for that matter. Thoughts?

ifconfig -a

Here is the ifconfig output

(Sorry, I need more rep before I can post images on SF...)

  • The runlevels are completely configurable from your inittab, so it's possible that runlevel 1 is mapped to a mode with networking activated.

    Does look odd though. Try booting into runlevel 2: in Suse that should default to multiuser/no networking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment