Friday, January 21, 2011

Mounting case-sensitive shared folder in VirtualBox

I have an OSX host with a ubuntu VM trying to mount a shared folder.

I'm using the options:

sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=100 pg ~/pg-host

The folder mounts fine, however it appears that the mounted directory is case-insensitive, even though my OSX drive is formatted case-sensitive.

Are there any options to control this behavior ?

  • Are you sure it's formatted case-sensitive? By default HFS+ volumes are case-preserving case-insensitive. Unless you performed a custom format on your disk that is likely the case.

    rhettg : Yeah I custom formatted the disk. My fear is that virtualbox doesn't understand that's a possibility and just assumes HFS is case-insensitive.
    packs : Anecdotally, (and slightly OT) I've had bad luck with formatting HFS+ as case sensitive. I came across several app bundles that assume case insensitive, and would fail strangely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment