Sunday, January 16, 2011

Linux variant of a sysprep answer file

I am installing a large number of Linux systems (RHEL5), from a preconfigured image. If I run sys-unconfig in that image before I distribute it, upon the first run of the imaged system, I get asked a lot of questions - hostname, IP, etc.

My question is how to pass the answers to those questions automatically, the way I would pass an answer file to a fresh sysprepped windows build

  • I don't have RHEL here but on my FC11 in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on line 705 I have the following:

    if [ -f /.unconfigured ]; then
     # some code here to do some things
    fi
    

    So my first answer is unless you modify this file there is no way to automate this. I will try to get a copy of the CENTOS version as is the same as RHEL and confirm that it is the same.

    Granted RHEL may have done things different due to enterprise needs and I will confirm that.

    dyasny : Found the needed fields in RHEL5.3, thanks!
    From Wayne

0 comments:

Post a Comment