Thursday, January 13, 2011

Is it possible track Google CSE?

I have many Google Custom Search engines that I need to track. In other words, I need to know the search terms of the users. Otherwise, it is hard to improve the engines. How can I do it?

  • If you're using Google Analytics, you could enable "Site Search":

    Google Help : How do I set up Site Search for my profile?


    Edit:

    Here is a tutorial: Know What Your Customers Want: Analyze Internal Search Data With Google Analytics

    On Step 6 it's important that you enter this exact formula into the Field A -> Extract A field:

    q=([^&]*)&sa=Search.
    

    Screenshot Google Analytics

    hhh : I did it, but I have a google CSE in iFrame and a standard engine from Google Sites. It does not track the Google CSE in iFrame, but it tracks the standard engine in Google Sites. I have no idea how to track the Google CSE.
    From splattne
  • If the results page of your Google CSE is on your site, you can just analyze your access logs to pull the search terms out. You should see URLs like http://yoursite.com/cseresults.html?q=keywords.

    From chaos

0 comments:

Post a Comment