Tuesday, January 18, 2011

iptables -L pretty slow. Is this normal?

Hi,

Quick question but Gooling has not revealed an answer. When I do iptables -L, it seems to lag on displaying items in where I have limited the source to internal ips 192.168.0.0/24

The whole listing takes about 30 seconds to display.

I just want to know: Does this affect the speed of my incoming connections or is this simply a side effect of having all these ranges within my iptables rules?

Thanks!

  • Include the -n option so it doesn't try to use DNS to resolve names for every ip address, network and port. Then it will be fast.

    Kyle Brandt : I generally like `iptables -vnL --line-numbers` for my listing command. Keep in mind by default you don't see all the tables, for instance, the nat table. To see that nat table: `-t nat`
    Bartek : Thanks, that makes sense. :)
    From Zoredache

0 comments:

Post a Comment