Monday, January 10, 2011

Identify old browser based space colonization game.

Okay, so I'm going to be digging deep here. I'm trying to find a browser based game that I played back in 2000-2001.

The game started on a grid map of a planet (that you revealed by exploring) where you had to build up a base, and collect resources. I know it was turn based, but I don't remember how it limited how much you could do in a day.

Later (though I never made it that far) you could actually leave the planet, and the game became a multiplayer game where you could visit other players planets, or colonize multiple planets.

I've been digging around for this game for several years, but have never even came close to finding it again.

Edit 1

I belive that the game was made by non-english speaking developers. In so much that I feel like the game had a non english name, either french or german. (but I could be completly wrong about this).

Edit 2

The primary screen had a map that you would move around in some sort of rover, in order to build buildings and mine for resources. Also the graphics were flat 2d images, it was a very simple (visually) game.

Edit 3

Not sure how much help this is going to be, but I think the name started with a P and had a couple of syllables. (Yes I'm still looking for it). I remember my friends playing a couple of other browser games at the time: Astronest, which I believe was new and Utopia which wasn't.

  • Sounds a lot like Galaxy Wars (German website: http://www.galaxywars.de/ ) or Planeterion ( http://www.planetarion.com/ ), both were very popular here in 2001 and at least the first one is from a german company (although has no german name ;) ).

    Alex Larzelere : That's along the same lines, but you actually navigated the map in order to build stuff.
    Linorm : The only other browser space game from a german company in that timeframe that I can remember is OGame ( http://www.ogame.org/ ), but I never played it, so this is just a wild guess. Note: As far as I know OGame got a complete interface rewrite in its lifetime, the first version looked completely different then its current incarnation.
    Alex Larzelere : I saw that, once I've got unrestricted internet access I'm going to do some digging and see if it's what I'm thinking of.
    Alex Larzelere : Nope, it's not OGame unless they got rid of moving around on the planet at somepoint during their development.
    From Linorm
  • Planetarion?

    1. Norwegian company made it.
    2. Starts with p and has many syllables
    3. you start of in command of a planet and mine it for resources...

    heh... my friends dad's company owns the company that owns this game.

    Alex Larzelere : Not quite... I don't remember there being races in the game. I'm trying to see what it looked like when it was launched but not having any luck. Also multiplayer wasn't something you got involved in until very late in the game
    Mechko : @Alex fair enough, though the game is more than 10 years old. I presume there have been some pretty drastic changes if it's survived that long.
    Alex Larzelere : That's what I'm thinking too, and that name sounds right...
    From Mechko

0 comments:

Post a Comment