Thursday, January 20, 2011

How do I integrate a OpenSolaris NAS with AD?

I basically want a OpenSolaris NAS (ZFS goodies) but I'd like to integrate it with AD, so that when I create a new user in AD, his roaming profile is created in the NAS. That means all his ACLs have to work (I know they're compatible), etc.

The tutorials I found don't actually work, so any help would be much appreciated.

  • I'm not sure about whether or not the CIFS sharing feature in ZFS will do this, but you don't have to use that feature. Instead, if you use SAMBA to share the ZFS filesystems, you will have the full AD integration that SAMBA offers. That would be the way that I would solve this problem, and part of the reason is that people use SAMBA on Linux, FreeBSD and many other systems, so that their codebase will have fewer bugs in this area.

    However, if you are following any SAMBA guides, do remember that ZFS works differently from common filesystems. Create one ZFS filesystem (or more) per user, i.e. don't use home directories on a single filesystem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment