Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How can I read system mail?

Which packages need to be installed in order for system mail to be generated from for example a nightly rkhunter scan run by cron?

  • I use mutt (sudo apt-get install mutt) to read it from the command line on my local machine.

    You can also forward the mail onto a "real" email address. I have three servers that all do their system error reporting to the root mailbox. I forward these all to my GMail account by editing /etc/aliases and adding:

    webuser: root
    root: oli@my-email-domain.com
    

    Obviously you'll have a different setup but if you just want your user's email, stick your username in there with your real email address.

    Nick HS : What does the `webuser: root` part do?
    Oli : I run my websites under a non-root user (for security). That bit forwards email from the webuser account to root. It just saves me typing out my email address twice.
    Don Faulkner : +1 for aliases. I make liberal use of them when I setup a server (and to a lesser extent on my desktops). For my servers, I have things like webmaster, postmaster, root, etc. go to mailing lists (really more aliases) so that multiple people easily get the notices.
    From Oli
  • You can create a local email account in Evolution. If the system mails are forwarded to your user you will be also notified about it.

    From

0 comments:

Post a Comment