Friday, January 21, 2011

domUs hang in start up, Debian Lenny

My server box has a hardware problem, so I unracked it and brought it home. While it was home, I figured it was time to upgrade from Etch to Lenny. Unfortunately, now that I've done so, all my domUs hang while starting up. I even tried making a new domU using

xen-create-image --lvm xen-space --hostname=test1 --size=8Gb --dist=lenny --memory=512M --dhcp

and when it starts up, it hangs in startup as well. The last message on the console is

Starting periodic command scheduler: crond.

The last thing in xend.log is

INFO (XendDomain:1165) Domain test1 (7) unpaused.
[ 5526.429198] blkback: ring-ref 8, event-channel 8, protcol 1 (x86_32-abi)
[ 5526.441788] blkback: ring-ref 9, event-channel 9, protcol 1 (x86_32-abi)
  • it's not hung, it just isn't outputting anything to the console. you need to add the following to your kernel command line

    console=hvc0 xencons=tty
    

    you can then fix it by editing inittab I believe...

    http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Nologinpromptwhenusing.60xmconsole.60

    Paul Tomblin : Am I misreading that? I thought it was saying that hvc0 was for the serial console, not for the console you get when you do "xm console"?
    Justin : I have no idea what the difference is, if there even is one.. all I know is that specifying hvc0 fixes the problem :-)
    Paul Tomblin : Yeah, the wiki wasn't too clear, but it turns out that I had to change the `1:...*getty tty` on all the domUs as well, as well as installing udev on all of them so that ssh works.
    Justin : ah yeah... the getty stuff is for the domU, you shouldn't have to touch the dom0 unless that was having problems too.
    From Justin

0 comments:

Post a Comment