Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Click on email addresses to send email in Gmail?

I'd like to rewire Windows' default behavior so that clicking on an email address anywhere (browser, document, etc.) opens in Gmail instead of Outlook. Is that possible? (Windows 7)

  • Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs

    Change "E-mail:" to "Google Mail".

    Then whenever you click on a mailto link etc. it will open Google Mail instead of Outlook.

    Senseful : Just as a note to other people reading this: this option isn't available in Windows XP.
    pelms : If you install the [GMail Notifier](http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html) it gives you this option in XP too.
    Herb Caudill : Hmm - that doesn't work for me in Windows 7. Under Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs I only have "Default web browser", "Manage add-ons", "HTML editing", and "Internet programs". The caption for "Internet programs" says "Choose the programs you want tot use for other Internet services such as e-mail"; but the button takes you to the "Default Programs" screen. From there I can go to "Set associations" and edit the MAILTO protocol; but the only options are Outlook and Windows Live Mail.
    ChrisF : @eagle - that's odd as I'm running XP (SP3).
    Senseful : @ChrisF: do you have the gmail notifier installed, like @pelms mentioned? If so, you should update the answer to mention that it's required.
    ChrisF : @eagle - I don't have the notifier installed. When I rebuilt this machine I installed the Google Pack to get Chrome, SketchUp and Earth installed for all users. In **Start > All Programs > Google Apps** I just have Calender, Docs and Mail.
    Senseful : @chris: my guess is that the mail app enabled that option
    ChrisF : @eagle - that's even odder - I've never run it - unless it just does it on the install.
    Senseful : @chris: yeah, it probably added it during the install
    From ChrisF
  • Another option is to use a browser plugin or userscript to convert Mailto: links to the format required by Gmail.

    From Greg Bray
  • A full-featured alternative would be to install Affixa (the free version is fine) - it enables all context menu functionality (Send as attachment, Send to Email Recipient), as well as setting Gmail to your default client. I've used it successfully in XP and W7.

    This solution also works with Google Apps and Yahoo! Mail.

    thunderror : This, I have to try out. Looks interesting!
    From Raithlin

0 comments:

Post a Comment