Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Are there any good Pandora alternatives with general availability outside the US?

Unfortunately for us Europeans (and all the other non-US) based people, services like Pandora aren't available.

So does anyone know a good alternative to Pandora, where you can listen to streaming music?

Preferably free and not restricted to certain countries. Spotify for instance would be awesome, but is only available in a couple of countries. Last.fm isn't free and Youtube has to take the music from certain videos or doesn't even show them.

  • I kind of like The 61. It's a website targeted at people who want to discover new music. I found some pretty cool stuff there, but there's also lots of crappy songs.

    From what I know, it works without geographical limitations. I listen to it in Czech Republic without a problem.

    Book 'em Danno : yup - thesixtyone.com is the best music site I've found (I listen to it more than Pandora) and love the quests it gives each user to accomplish to earn more hearts.
    From Fczbkk
  • There's we7 which streams music free, I don't believe there are any country/region restrictions

    akira : i can get only 30s snippets...
  • Have you tried Grooveshark ? although you have to have a browser window open, it's still pretty good

    Slavo : It's not pretty good, it's awesome!
    Joe Philllips : I've had issues with Grooveshark running out of songs to play then just stopping. Maybe that's pebcak
    Stefan Lasiewski : Wow. +1 for pointing me to Grooveshark.
    Sidnicious : It's awesome, except for the fact that the Grooveshark iPhone client has been repeatedly rejected by Apple (they made it available through Cydia after a few months of review purgatory, I'm not sure that's improving their chances).
    davr : Probably wont ever be approved for iPhone, Grooveshark is way too music piracy friendly, which Apple probably feels hurts their iTunes store.
    From jfoucher
  • I like slacker radio. Pretty sure you can use it anywhere, I'm in Canada and it works for me!

    alex : Sadly, it doesn't work everywhere...
    Matias : " We're Sorry Slacker Personal Radio is not available in your area. Unfortunately, Slacker Personal Radio is currently only available in the United States. "
    From Joel
  • www.slacker.com

  • http://last.fm

    CrazyJugglerDrummer : its also massively popular, like pandora.
    : I live in Brazil and I used to listen to last.fm until they started charging a monthly fee for users outside of the US and Canada. Just went back today and it seems to be working fine, but the FAQ still mentions that users outside the USA/Canada will have to pay http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=98#333 Strange....
    : Replying to my previous post. Apparently last.fm was running in trial mode (30 tracks for free) and now I have to pay to subscribe and keep listening. Guess somehow my old account reverted back to a free trial.
  • I'd like to second the Grooveshark recommendation, though I either don't have enough points to comment on the original reply (or just don't know how).

    In any case, a key advantage to Grooveshark over Pandora is that you can play any song you want at any time, and can even replay it. Sometimes I get a song stuck in my head and I just want to hear it right now, Grooveshark let's me do that. On Pandora, I can type in the songs name and just hope I hear it sometime in the first 10-15 songs.

    Grooveshark also has a mobile client for Android and iPhone, I'm an Android user myself and have found it works well on that platform.

    Grooveshark doesn't have quite the same recommendation engine as Pandora/Last.fm. I find myself using it more as a personal on-line library of favorite songs or play lists I build myself and want to hear vs. a radio station interface that picks songs for me.

    From morganm
  • If you don't need to have access to all of popular music, try Uvumi.

  • Future Perfect Radio is a nice service featuring indie music : Future Perfect Radio

    From mattle
  • www.spotify.com ?

    akira : does not work in europe, as OP mentioned.
    Unsliced : Erm, yes it does. I'm in the UK and use it perfectly well.
    From
  • Another Vote for Groove Shark. It is great for your own collection as well as listening to others. If you want to upload one of your own and it is already in the system it doesn't actually upload your song again, it just adds it to your library. The RADIO function works like Pandora but doesn't seem to be as good at finding "Good" Songs. Making playlists and adding songs to Favorites is easy as pie and works great. Combine it with Groove Shark Mobile and it can't be beat.

    From Pipermac
  • I like last.fm. They have a neat tool that well search through your music on your computer and create radio stations based on it.

    From Particle6
  • Free online music player based on HTML5 - http://prostopleer.com/?lang=en (currently available in Russian language)

  • I listen to a stream in Pandora, and add the Good songs to my Grooveshark playlist. Then when I have enough good stuff, I put my grooveshark playlist on shuffle/repeat and kick back and enjoy!

    From Jake
  • I love grooveshark but I've been using various other sites as well depending on how I feel, most have been recommended already:

    The Sixty One (http://www.thesixtyone.com)

    Uvumi (http://www.uvumi.com)

    I'd also like to recommend meemix - kind of like grooveshark in that it recommends music to you but also have a feature from sixty one where you can tell the radio how adventurous you are about your music. Pretty cool I think.

    From warrenyang
  • In the wake of Lala.com's demise, I was in a similar situation. Currently evaluating Rdio as a potential replacement. The selection isn't exceptional, but the web streaming works great, as does the iPhone app.

    From joshjs
  • Mixest.com is in beta but looking good. Very simple, good selection.

    Bala Clark : I like this service too, but it doesn't do all the cool custom station stuff that pandora / last.fm will. Its pretty much a dev side project for a couple of guys at the moment. http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1483006
    From Kurtosis
  • I definately recommend we7 if you are in the UK or IE (you'll get 30sec previews elsewhere)

    for those recommending grooveshark, be aware that there are some doubts over it's legality, in that it doesn't pay the rights holders of the songs it has - it's been sued by EMI and now Universal: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10432132-27.html

    From Peet
  • It's not an equivalent to Pandora, which I too miss since it was limited to the US, but I'd recommend NPR's First Listen. They allow you to listen to albums that have not yet been released. Each album is available for a few weeks so only a few albums are available at any given time. However, they have a great taste, and it's well worth watching their list.

    From eran
  • Try Musicovery.com

    From thunderror
  • http://lastvid.com - just like Pandora but with youtube videos.

    From holla
  • http://napster.com is an on-demand streaming service available in Germany, the UK, and Japan (in addition to the U.S.). They have a 7-day trial period.

    From fukami
  • I like Jango. not sure if it's available in the UK, but it is in Canada.

    From Patricia
  • Free Indian Music Filmy, Classical, Instrumental and Regional

    From pramodc84

0 comments:

Post a Comment