Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Alternatives to Unity for netbooks?

I am very disappointed with some of the features of Unity. Not being able to hide the bar or even modify it with different shortcuts (favorites in 10.04 netbook remix). I have docky installed and I would prefer to just use that. But I want to still have the system administration programs somehow. What packages would anyone recommend as a replacement for Unity?

  • In the background of docky I recommend you just run GNOME to give you access to all your sys admin tools.

    From user3940
  • xubuntu-desktop

    From outofstep
  • The 2D netbook interface from 10.04 is still there. You can use it if you install ubuntu-netbook-efl-default-settings & netbook-launcher-efl (click the package names to install them, after installation there will be a new session choice in the login screen).

    I don't understand why Docky would prevent you from running system administration programs?

    From JanC
  • I would say give KDE's netbook interface a try. I was very impressed with it compared to Unity.

    From Skaarg

0 comments:

Post a Comment