Sunday, January 23, 2011

Can IIS6 compression file types be configured on a per-site basis?

The following article explains how to customise the file types that can be compressed in IIS 6:

Customizing the File Types IIS Compresses (IIS 6.0) [MS TechNet]

The metabase settings discussed are global settings.

Can I configure this on a per-site basis?

  • Yes, you can.

    See "To enable HTTP Compression for Individual Sites and Site Elements" here.

    Edit: I misread the details of the question. I am pretty sure I have configured different file extensions for compression on different sites in the past, but I also can't seem to find any definitive answer right now. I'll check when I'm at work tomorrow.

    Kev : I read that. That's just the settings to turn on/off compression by site. There's no mention about whether you can customise the file types on a site by site basis.
  • After some digging about it looks like this is a global setting and can only be configured at the following metabase location:

    /LM/W3SVC/Filters/Compression/gzip
    /LM/W3SVC/Filters/Compression/deflate

    For more info:

    HcFileExtensions - MSDN Library

    From Kev

0 comments:

Post a Comment